Josh Turner will celebrate his musical heroes on his upcoming album, Country State of Mind, which will be released on Aug. 21.
The 12-song collection features popular tunes and deep cuts from many of Josh’s influences, including Randy Travis (“Forever and Ever, Amen”), John Anderson (“I’ve Got It Made”), Johnny Cash (“The Caretaker”), Vern Gosdin (“I Can Tell By the Way You Dance”), Hank Williams (“Alone and Foresaken”) and more.
“I’ve always said that any song you hear coming from my voice, you’re going to hear bits and pieces of those [aforementioned] five guys,” says Josh. “They taught me how to be Josh Turner.”
In addition, a number of artists contributed vocals on the new album, including Kris Kristofferson (“Why Me”), Chris Janson (“Country State of Mind”), Maddie & Tae (“Desperately”), Runaway June (“You Don’t Seem to Miss Me”), Randy Travis (“Forever and Ever, Amen”), John Anderson (“I’ve Got It Made”) and Allison Moorer (“Alone and Foresaken”).
Randy’s contribution marks his first recording session since his stroke in 2013.
“Randy has always been my hero,” says Josh. “He was the reason I wanted to become a country singer. He’s an inspiring figure, not just to me but to a lot of people, so to have him sing on this record is pretty special.”
Country State of Mind Track Listing
- I’m No Stranger To The Rain
- I’ve Got It Made (Duet with John Anderson)
- Why Me (Duet with Kris Kristofferson)
- Country State Of Mind (Duet with Chris Janson)
- I Can Tell By The Way You Dance
- Alone And Forsaken (Featuring Allison Moorer)
- Forever And Ever, Amen (With Special Guest Randy Travis)
- Midnight In Montgomery
- Good Ol’ Boys
- You Don’t Seem To Miss Me (Featuring Runaway June)
- Desperately (Featuring Maddie & Tae)
- The Caretaker
Listen to the new album’s title track featuring Chris Janson below.
photo by NCD